Historic House Listings

Ten acres in eastern NC! Tull-Worth-Holland house, circa, 1825. $120,000

May 18, 2018

So much history with this one! There is even an old cemetery on the property. There are several outbuildings included with this property. There is a cotton gin, barn, stables, and a cook’s house. Located on ten acres in Kinston, North Carolina. It was built for Henry Tull, the largest plantation owner in Lenoir county before the Civil War. It eventually became the home for his plantation overseer. $130,000 New price: $120,000

From the Preservation North Carolina listing:

 

The Tull-Worth-Holland House and associated outbuildings are a remarkably intact complex located just outside of Kinston. The main house is comprised of 3 distinct periods of the history of the farm, including the two-story 1825 Federal hall-and-parlor plan with enclosed stair. Around 1900, the front porch was expanded to wraparound, with Colonial Revival columns. The property also includes multiple outbuildings: a c.1945 two-car garage, c.1890 cooks house with common bond chimney, c.1880 barn, c.1870 stable, and c.1880 cotton gin, and an African American cemetery. The property will include approximately 10 acres, to be determined by survey at time of sale.
Architectural and Historical Information
The main house was built for Henry Tull who was one of the largest plantation owners in Lenoir County prior to the civil war. As his holdings expanded, the house became home to his overseer, J. W.C. Hill. Elegant Federal period detailing includes a mantel with a deep cornice and scallop detailing, which is repeated in the chair rail and mantel in the parlor. Further Federal elements retained include six-panel doors, three part mantels, chair rail and baseboards. In 1869, William Worth purchased the property for John Tull, Henry Tull’s son. Worth, a Quaker, was active in many of the agricultural organizations and was named State Business agent for the Farmers Alliance and moved to Raleigh. During Worth’s ownership, the house underwent its first major alteration which included the addition of rear shed rooms circa 1875, now serving as two bedrooms and a bath. In 1898 Worth sold the property to J.W.C. Hill, the former overseer, who purchased it for his daughter and her husband, Jesse and Emily Holland. Around 1900, a kitchen ell was added to the back of the house, along with a side porch that feature a sink and water pump. The porch was enclosed around 1935, and a bath was added to the rear.

Contact Maggie Gregg with Preservation NC. 252-689-6678

Let them know you saw it on Old House Life!